1. A poem: “They Ate the Bulbs of Tulips” by Mark Wagenaar. You can access it at poets.org using the search bar.
It’s today’s featured poem. It has been awhile since a poem moved me to tears. I thought maybe I was in a sentimental mood this morning. I just read it again. Same reaction. The beauty of poetry. The words writers choose. I’m thankful I still have the “feel that” button in my soul.
2. A visit from a dear friend. She brought happiness in the form of candy, a fringed basket, a textile garland for my art studio. Friends who listen. She’s my “free pass” friend from a dark time. I love her.
3. A postcard with magic marker scribbles from an almost 3 year old who brings me joy. Her mama does, too. I’m old enough to be her mother, but our souls seem to be in sync.
4. Packages from my daughter who can’t be here this year for my tomorrow birthday. Before she left in January, she made sure all the family had presents for special days waiting. She texted me tonight to tell me which ones were mine. Love.
5. Another candle on the cake. My April Fool’s birthday is tomorrow, but since I’m fairly confident I’ll wake to see it, I’ll add it here. So immensely thankful to be alive.
I love Fridays. I like thinking back over the week and consciously noting things that bring me joy. To read good words, laugh with good friends, receive love from people I am so blessed to know in this life…truly touched tonight.
Tomorrow, I’m celebrating a bit differently. I plan to go on a solo day trip with no expectation other than to see what I see. I know I’ll reflect on another year opening its doors.
So glad to be here.